×

The History

The History

Starting from the year 1000...

Starting from the year 1000... It is necessary to dig into history, going back over 1000 years, to get the first mention about the village of Fizzano. The first indication of its existence dates back to 1007 in a document of the Abbadia Isola, according to which "Fiziano" would have been the site of a castle and a court. In the fifteenth century it became part of the so-called "League of Chianti" together with Radda, Castellina and Gaiole, whose coat of arms was a black rooster in a gold field. Following the many battles between Siena and Florence in the Middle Ages, the ancient castle and the court were destroyed and in fact, in 1817, according to some documents, the Fizzano only consists of a farm, a farmhouse, two huts and a chapel.

The appearance of the settlement remains practically unchanged for over a century when in 1984, reduced to an abandoned farm, Fizzano was bought by Rocca delle Macie, a winery of Castellina in Chianti owned by the Zingarelli family, which uses their prized vineyards for the production of their own wine and builds a traditional oil mill with millstones for the production of oil.

View the website of Rocca delle Macie View the website